Generate One TOC from multiple Word Docs

Subject: Generate One TOC from multiple Word Docs
From: Roberta Hennessey <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: tech writer tech writer <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:20:53 -0400

Hi,

Issue: 400+ page Word 2007 doc that keeps crashing.

We have come up with two possible solutions:

1) Break Word doc into four documents. Generate one TOC for all four docs.
(I see articles on using RD | text fields though my question is, once
created, can we update
the TOC as easlily as clicking the update button?

2. Break Word doc into four documents, pdf all four Word docs, then combine
in one pdf. Is it possible to generate a TOC in the pdf? (We have Acrobat
Pro.)

Has anyone on the list ever run into this issue? What did you find was the
best solution? The best solution would be a TOC of some sort that could be
updated automatically.

Thank you.

--
Roberta Hennessey