RE: STC certification: what's in it for tech writers?

Subject: RE: STC certification: what's in it for tech writers?
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwords -dot- com>
To: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>, "'Steven Jong'" <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:57:03 -0400

I don't think that's Steve was saying. I've been in this business for about
the same length of time, but I am not any level of Fellow with the STC. I
might be on the edge of the target demographic, because I do have years of
experience, a relevant degree and a massive portfolio. However, I'm a
senior level practitioner who has decided becoming a technical
communications media mogul and consultant is a much bigger rush than trying
to get promoted in the corporate battlefield.

The demographic seems to be mid-career folks -- they have experience and
competence, but often get stalled, and might feel that certification would
make them stand out in a very crowded field. When I was mid-career in PR,
that's how I felt, and the reason I went for accreditation in PR (which has
to have as many tools and domains as tech comm, and they've managed to put
together a strong program that's been around for at least 30 years).

Regards,

Connie Giordano
The Right Words, LLC
INKtopia Limited/TechWhirl.com