RE: To coin a phrase

Subject: RE: To coin a phrase
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: "'dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com'" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>, "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:07:42 +0000

You have to admit, it is particularly strange and uncomfortable (at least for the literate or anyone paying attention) when common usage for a word or phrase evolves/devolves to mean exactly the opposite of what the word or phrase literally means. For example, "I could care less" (meaning, "I couldn't care less"), "literally" (meaning, "figuratively"), and "to coin a phrase" (meaning, "in the current, cliché meaning of a term"). I would bet that there are many, many more. And then there is the "problem" of the double negative (for example, "I ain't done nothin'.")

Of course, there are other phrases/ideas that have become so common that we don't even notice anymore. For example, we all believe that when we purchase something on sale, we "save money."