TW certification, why not a test? Was, RE: Back on the air

Subject: TW certification, why not a test? Was, RE: Back on the air
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: 'Steven Jong' <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>, TECHWR-L Digest <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:12:41 +0000

I do have one more question that I think you may have missed (or to which I missed your answer). Why didn't the STC go with a board or bar exam type test? Might they do so in the future? Would the STC consider a test option for people who have already competed a TW degree or certificate?

Such a test could arguably be just as discriminating as the current scheme, but it would require less time of candidates and cost less (for the STC and, therefore, candidates). The lower cost in terms of time and money would make it more appealing to a greater number of TWs, and that in turn would result in more revenue for the STC.