Re: visually describing command syntax ?

Subject: Re: visually describing command syntax ?
From: Suzanne Chiles <suzchiles -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:44:56 -0800

You might take a look at how IBM does visual syntax. This is from the C/C++
documentation:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/comphelp/v8v101/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.xlcpp8a.doc%2Flanguage%2Fref%2Fcplr156.htm

It always reminded me of diagramming sentences in 9th grade English class.
But I think there is value in this presentation, along with examples, of
course.

Suzanne Chiles

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Monique Semp
<monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>wrote:

> Hello, writers,
>
> I’m documenting the syntax for lots of commands that have fairly complex
> and inconsistent syntax: some have key-value pairs (and so I document the
> “value” portion as a placeholder indicated with italic code font within
> angle brackets), some have both required and optional parameters, sometimes
> the parameters are denoted by switches instead of key-value pairs – in
> short, all the usual inconsistencies of a big set of commands that’s grown
> over time under lots of developers.
>
> --
Suzanne Chiles
suzchiles -at- gmail -dot- com