Re: need suggestions on handling a boss

Subject: Re: need suggestions on handling a boss
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 01:13:11 -0500

Been there, done that. Your options aren't what you want to hear.

1. If you are a permanent employee and you have a lot of years with the company, look into transferring to another group or department. Check with HR.

2. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Do not communication VERBALLY if possible, only in writing so you have a paper trail. You are a tech writer, so document everything said, done, and occurring. If HR sees you have a ton of CYA, they will be more incline to help you move elsewhere than let you get booted because they can see potential lawsuit coming not to help you. Of course, do not expect miracles because HR is there to help the company, not you. They will help you mainly if it prevents bad things for the company.

3. The Boss either is an idiot or wants rid of you. I'm betting on the latter.

4. If you are not a permanent employee, or if you only have a short time in there, Monster, Dice, and a few other online job boards are your friend. Start tonight with the resume.

5. Unless you are in a sensitive position with security issues, keep a copy of everything you do, say, email, and write offsite. You may find yourself out the door unexpectedly and copies at work do you no good.

6. Have NOTHING on your computer that isn't work related. Know what BCWipe is and use it to delete any personal or non-work related material immediately.

7. Clear your cache and history NOW. Do not check any sites that are other than work related for any reason.

8. Consider it a lost cause and look elsewhere.

I had one like that about 12 years ago who acted like he was my buddy, except everything I turned into him bled red like a 5 gallon paint bucket. He'd tell me what he wanted, I put it in, then he would say it was wrong. In the end, all I did was manage to get a couple of extra months and far too much stress for my own physical good. There was no pleasing him except by letting him make me look bad.

If you are a contractor, then leave. Call your shop, tell them you have a manager that is trying to sabotage your efforts, and you are leaving. If this manager has been like this and it isn't a mental or medical thing that has just occurred, the odds are they are aware and will help you find something else if you tell them rather than just getting up and leaving without saying why.

Keep your spirits up. Most of us have been kicked out of more jobs than you can imagine. It isn't the end of the world, just the way some managers defend their territory.

----- Original Message ----- From: anonymous