RE: PowerPoint problem - update

Subject: RE: PowerPoint problem - update
From: Kath Bowman <Kath -dot- Bowman -at- au -dot- saabgroup -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 17:13:52 +1030

Solved:
In the end I put the latest PPS Viewer on the system which allowed me to see the text, but it did not open the viewer in full screen mode. However, when I redefined the properties for the viewer (but without change) it started working correctly. Go figure!
Cheers
Kath

Problem:

"I have a PPT file that was created with Office 2003, which works correctly when saved as a PPS file and is viewed with the 2003 PPS viewer.

I have since edited the file in Office 2010, and saved it as a 2003 PPT file. The changes were to content only, although many words were edited.
No animated transitions are used in the file. The file includes a few action buttons for navigation, in the Master page, but they have not changed.

The updated PPT works fine when viewed and played in PowerPoint. However, when saved as a PPS file and viewed with the PowerPoint viewer, the file shows no text or action buttons, but the pictures are visible. (It uses Verdana and Arial). I have tried the 2003 and the 2010 versions of the PowerPoint viewer.

I have taken a copy of the previous good version, opened it in Office 2010 and saved it as a 2003 version, and recreated the problem.

When I open a 2003 file using Office 2010 and save the file as a 2003 PPT file, the most obvious change is that the file size drops by half in the updated file.

I have tried different save options, including embedding fonts, when I save as a PPS file, but that has not fixed the problem.

I have taken a few pages at a time, but that has not isolated a problem to any one page or group of pages."

UPDATE:
I saved the PPT file as a 2010 version .pptx, and then saved it as a .pps file. I then viewed it using the latest PPS viewer and it worked. It seems that if I abandon trying to save it as a 2003 file, it comes good. That means that the viewer has to be updated on the target system, but the developers are OK with that. (The target system platform is Windows XP.)

However, the PPS file does not open in full screen mode. Admittedly, the monitor is huge, but when I check the settings of the PPS file in PowerPoint, it is set to open in full screen mode. Is there a switch I can set? I could not see one."

http://www.doctohelp.com