Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?

Subject: Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:57:39 -0500

This is exactly what Adobe is attempting with AIR/Community Help.

-Greg

12/13/2011 11:37:42 AM:

> From: Tim -dot- Slager -at- aciworldwide -dot- com
> To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
> Cc: dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com, techwr-l-bounces
> +tim -dot- slager=aciworldwide -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com,
> Date: 12/13/2011 11:52 AM
> Subject: Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
> Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> And a link from the context-sensitive help topic to a wiki page where
> users can post commentary, questions, and answers about the particular
> help topic or application window/page. (I haven't seen this, but I'd like

> to.)
>
> Tim Slager
>

> From:
> Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
> To:
> dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com
> Cc:
> Date:
> 12/13/2011 11:28 AM
> Re: what doc formats do READERs want ?
> Sent by:
>

> As a user, I prefer the giant PDF for download and local use, but it's
> murder trying to read one online.
>
> In my best of all possible worlds, there would be a
> context-sensitive/searchable OLH/HTML/e-reader/whatever version for
online
> use with a link that says "To download as PDF click here."
>
> Gene Kim-Eng
>

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Dana Worley (MVP/JB)
> <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>wrote:
>
> > Who says we don't want giant PDFs? :-P
> >
> > Really, it depends upon the type of document. Help file for an
> > application? No, I don't want a PDF, I want a well-designed, context
> > sensitive help file. A complete reference manual for a product? If it's

> > large document, I LOVE having it in PDF format -- very easy to
navigate,
> > search, and scan.
> >
> > It's all about choosing the "right tool for the job", but without any
> idea
> > of what the job is, I don't think the tool can be recommended.

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> Doc-To-Help.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Tim -dot- Slager -at- aciworldwide -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tim.slager%
> 40aciworldwide.com

> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -dot-

> [...]
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

http://www.doctohelp.com