Re: ANONYMOUS POST: Staffing with unskilled workers

Subject: Re: ANONYMOUS POST: Staffing with unskilled workers
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:04:00 -0500

> Now going into cynical curmudgeon/professional paranoid mode:  Why does your manager want so much for you to help her improve?  Is it possible they are thinking of having you unknowingly train your replacement who will do the same work for less pay?  If so, polish your resume and start looking.

Your resume should always be polished, in my experience. You never
know when you're going to need or want to use it.

> Actually, start polishing your resume right now even if you don't think you're being cornered into training your replacement.  Your company drastically increases your workload without providing any help.  They obviously aren't concerned about your limits.  If they don't replace you with her or someone else, most likely they will simply keep piling on more work until you are snowed under and your situation becomes unsupportable.

We only know one side of the story. Frankly, 8 years of putting up
with an ever-increasing workload while getting zero help causes me to
raise an eyebrow. Either OP never raised the issue until it became
unbearable, tried but lacked the confidence to do it effectively (see
cadet Laverne Hooks from Police Academy), or management truly doesn't
care. But 8 years putting up with it... Something's amiss there. Thus
the tone I took in my initial reply.

You need to stand your ground, because no one else is going to do it for you.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com