RE: future tense vs present tense

Subject: RE: future tense vs present tense
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "'Harvey, Jon'" <Jon -dot- Harvey -at- PERKINELMER -dot- COM>, "'tech2wr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:00:21 -0800

Always use present tense unless the action really and truly will happen in
the future (not in the "now").

Some good reasons:
1. Future tense adds uncertainty to the action. It will happen at some
unknown point, may soon, maybe later, who knows? Present tense includes a
certainty to the action - it happens right after I do this.
2. In English, present tense is inherently more interesting to the way our
brains work. We find things happening in the now to be more interesting than
something that happens at some undefined future time.
3. In the world of information as we need it, the user is (should be)
following the instructions in the Now and so the instructions should be
written in the Now.

Unless your product really does work in some unknown future and you want
people to feel uncertain about it in an uncomfortable but don't know why
way...

sharon

Sharon Burton
Content Strategy Consultant