RE: Ideas for Help 2.0

Subject: RE: Ideas for Help 2.0
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "'McLauchlan, Kevin'" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:24:05 -0800

McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> I'm curious how many people create Help for internal
> use at their own employer, or for use by external
> customers, but served from the employer's website,
> versus
> how many of us create Help for products that we sell
> to companies or individuals, to be used on their
> desktops, behind whatever firewalls and IT policies
> the customers might have.

I document teleconferencing network infrastructure equipment that gets installed into corporate and government networks. The administration interface is a Flex app accessed via a browser, so it's a "web app" with context-sensitive "web help." But it's only accessible to authorized users logging in from within the customer's network. The server has extensive security features (passed JITC testing), and some customers (mainly gov't) lock it down extremely tightly. No way is the online help ever going to "phone home" to provide me with analytics. I wouldn't even dream of suggesting it.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom