Question about duplicate Search text boxes in Flare Web Help

Subject: Question about duplicate Search text boxes in Flare Web Help
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:29:57 +0000

All,

My team produces online help using Flare. Flare puts a Search pull-down in the left (navigation) pane of the browser window. When opened, it displays a Search text box. This is considered less than optimal by some members of my team, and to make Search more prominent, we've put an additional Search text box in the top-right part of the content pane in the browser window beneath "Add Favorite" and "Send Feedback" links. It is pretty much in-line with the breadcrumbs (which appear to the top-left of the content pane in the browser window). I think this is a good location for a Search text box. However, I do not like having Search in two places in the Web Help.

When you use the (new, custom) Search text box in the content frame, results appear where they would normally have appeared had you used the Flare native search text box in the navigation pane. That is, results appear in the left pane. At the top of the pane, the native Flare search text box also appears, and it is populated with the phrase you searched on using the new, custom Search text box.

What do you think of having two Search text boxes, in two different places, in Web Help?

Leonard C. Porrello
Senior Technical Writer, Writing Services
illumina, Inc.
858-736-8024
Email: lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com<mailto:lcarrier -at- illumina -dot- com>
Website: www.illumina.com<http://www.illumina.com/>

http://www.doctohelp.com