Re: Non-technical technical writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical technical writers
From: Rick Stone <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:47:41 -0600

Definitely does!

It's something that never ceases to amaze me personally. But I think there are folks that either know how to talk a good game or they fool themselves into totally believing that they are experts, when in fact, they are novices at some things.

You see it time and again. I once had a co-worker explain what a professor once explained to him. It's called "The circle of knowledge". Imagine a small circle. Everything that fits inside the circle represents everything you absolutely know beyond any shadow of a doubt about a given subject. And that thin black line outlining the circle represents everything "you are currently aware of" that you don't know.

An interesting phenomenon occurs when you learn more. Perhaps the circle grows tenfold. And look at how much you are now "aware", of what you don't know!

Happy Tuesday... Rick :)

On 1/17/2012 10:34 AM, Dana Worley (MVP/JB) wrote:

...It reminds me of a conversation I had with a woman a few months ago at a seminar. She introduced herself as a technology writer, but later told me she knew nothing about technology. I file that in the category of "things that make you go, 'huh'".

Dana

http://www.doctohelp.com