RE: "lends" or "provides" credibility ?

Subject: RE: "lends" or "provides" credibility ?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:53:40 -0800

Monique Semp wrote:

> I think the common phrase is âlends credibilityâ, but I tend to
> internalize that as âtemporarily providingâ credibility (because
> âlendingâ isnât a permanent gift), and certainly thatâs not whatâs
> typically meant!
>
> So am I just off the wall with wanting to avoid the âlends credibilityâ
> phrase? If not, then what might you suggest as an alternative?

It's hard to suggest an alternative without knowing the context. It might be that the best alternative replaces the entire phrase, not just the verb.

But just looking at it in a vacuum, I'd be reluctant to deviate from the "common phrase" if only because it's what people are used to seeing and understand.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.