Re: A better open source raster/bitmap editor - preferably portable

Subject: Re: A better open source raster/bitmap editor - preferably portable
From: Lee Fisher <blibbet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:29:07 -0800

On 1/21/12 10:59 AM, Tony Chung wrote:

I should have clarified: I'm lookin strictly to improve the image
quality of my photographs on websites. When I save for web and devices
through Photoshop, photos retain the perceptual quality even at the
smaller file size.

The GIMP algorithm is different. I haven't found the ideal settings to
use to export photos at the same image sizes, yet retain their
saturation and clarity.

So keep GIMP, ask on the GIMP user forums how to find ideal settings, perhaps try the "Save for Web" plugin. Or add an external tool like SmishIt to help with website optimization case.

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-web.html
http://registry.gimp.org/node/33

http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/smushit/
http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#opt_images

There are LOTS of sites that discuss how to find ideal settings like this. Search engines are useful, even if no no writers and printing presses were not involved.

http://www.doctohelp.com