Re: Re: Laptop for personal use?

Subject: Re: Re: Laptop for personal use?
From: Dana Worley <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: Craig Cardimon <craig -dot- cardimon -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:18:38 -0700

I bought a refurbished Dell laptop (from Dell) a few years ago, and it has been a great computer. I recently purchase a refurb'd Dell from Retrevo (I wanted a second computer to act as a web server for my weather station). Again, so far, so good.

I would stay away from the Chromebooks. Useless pieces of hardware, IMO. You cannot load any software on them -- they can ONLY be used to access the Internet/web-based applications. If your wife is used to a "real" PC, a Chromebook would be a disappointment, I think (and I didn't find it that cheap -- $350 will get you a nice refurb'd computer).

2 cents,

Dana

On 12:59 PM, Craig Cardimon wrote:

Thanks guys. I have forwarded your laptop suggestions to The Lady of the
House. She is impressed by how quickly you all responded.

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM, McLauchlan, Kevin<
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

If you, or better half, are set on a laptop, try the manufacturers'
sites. I don't know about the others, but DELL is constantly
sending out updates about one-day deals and about refurbs that
often have enticing prices.