Re: WRONG!..... -ish?

Subject: Re: WRONG!..... -ish?
From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 21:23:21 -0500

Funny, before I read your third sentence, I was expecting you to ask
whether the *second* sentence was acceptable or not. While both are
gramatically correct, the second form (with the implied "do" explicitly
included) always feels awkward to me. I think this is one of those
strange cases of the subjunctive form.

How about gerundifying (yay, verbing nouns!) the sentence, instead?

"We recommend not removing the covers that were installed at the factory."

Makes the imperative clearer ("[you] do not remove"), and avoids that
uneasy feeling altogether. ;-)

--
Dossy Shiobara | "He realized the fastest way to change
dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com | is to laugh at your own folly -- then you

http://www.doctohelp.com