Re: question re XML DITA editors

Subject: Re: question re XML DITA editors
From: kafkascampi <kafkascampi -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: jimmy -at- breck-mckye -dot- com
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:13:01 -0800

Alison said "they've asked me to look into Serna"

I've used Serna with Docbook and DITA for ...5 years, I think? I have the
paid version and am not sure of the difference.

Serna is a fine, straightforward tool. It feels engineer-y to me as opposed
to a shiny expensive tool like XMetal--like you have to get under the hood
a little. You can configure the editing environment to be allllmost
WYSIWYG. It enforces whatever DTD you like.

I don't integrate SVN with Serna, but manage check-ins separately.

Element insertion is better than some tools, worse than others, but you can
pop up the Insert menu with a keyboard shortcut. You can also set up
macro-type commands that will plop in a template for you, so you'd get
empty title, metadata, context, steps elements should you want to do that.

Serna can be slow to open a really long file--for example I have a help map
where the map itself has several hundred topicrefs, and the related links
table formats to about 70 pages...that takes 5 minutes or so to open.

The tags view can be a little wonky, I've found. I end up doing some
editing in a plain ol' text editor sometimes, but I think that's jsut a
personal preference--I'd probably do that no matter which XML editor I used.

Chris