Re: Facebook and Twitter (was RE: REST vs. RESTful)

Subject: Re: Facebook and Twitter (was RE: REST vs. RESTful)
From: "B.J. Smith" <bjsmith -at- ucar -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 07:58:54 -0700

Facebook: I use this mostly communicating with family and close friends. Especially useful for staying or getting back in touch with cousins we don't get to see very often.

Twitter: I follow mostly writers and cyclists. Started mostly to see how it works and how companies use it for marketing purposes (mostly very poorly).

On 2/17/2012 7:51 AM, McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

Mark Giffin, who is NOT my Facebook friend, and whose Tweets I
absolutely do not follow, said (about RESTful):

I do agree that it's a silly term. It's hard to define easily. But it's
used.

Fielding may not use it but in my experience lots of people and
companies do. One example is a good book, RESTful Web Services by
Richardson and Ruby (Oreilly), which has a nice thorough explanation of
the area and its history. I had a recent client who does web services
who definitely used the term RESTful in reference to its web services.
Twitter calls one of its APIs a "REST API":

https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api

Facebook calls it REST too, although they say they are deprecating
their
REST API:

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/rest/

"You must be logged in to see this page."

I don't click every link that people send in their
them, over the months and years. I used to be annoyed
by similar bounces from NYT references/links, when you
had to subscribe to see articles.

So, as a complete Facebook outsider (so far), I'm curious:
Do you Facebook members generally have comprehensive
entries and ongoing participation? Or do some of you
have "skeleton" memberships with the absolute minimum
of personal/professional info, maintained purely so
you can have access to alerts and material that others
might send using Facebook links?

Twitter - same question.

-k (who also doesn't belong to any genealogy sites)

--
If you can't see what the product is, you ARE the product.
or disclosing it.

Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as bjsmith -at- ucar -dot- edu -dot-