Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 76, Issue 21

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 76, Issue 21
From: Jack Elder <elderj -at- wetafx -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:36:29 +1300

On 22/02/12 19:55, techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote:

Hi Carla,
Australians could handle this, but New Zealanders might be a bit upset. Asia Pacific might be a better option, but that includes other Pacific islands, like Papua New Guinea and Fiji. I would list them separately.

As a New Zealander... It's mildly irritating, but we're used to it. The degree of irritation would probably come from how much of an afterthought NZ appeared to be - for example, if you clearly split out most other countries but then lumped NZ in with Australia as an afterthought it'd be pretty annoying. Also note that if you're listing more than about ten countries, we're going to expect to be able to find NZ under an alphabetical list - so you may miss out on customers who look under N, can't find it, but don't think to check under A.

Also notice that in NZ, a common usage is "Aotearoa/NZ", using both the Maori and English names for our country. This could cause confusion between "Australia/NZ" as well.

One solution that I see a lot (for example, on xe.com) is to have a dropdown with the five or six most common entries at the top - and then a divider, followed by a full alphabetical list of countries underneath.

Country listings are surprisingly tricky. When I lived in England, it was always fun finding whether the country was listed as England, United Kingdom, Great Britain, or just Britain.

Cheers from NZ;

Jack