Question for those who use XML editors

Subject: Question for those who use XML editors
From: Andrew Harvie <withanie -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:20:27 -0400

Hi,
What I do is write documentation for a software product. This is
published in several formats, where NetHelp (or WebHelp) and .CHM are
the most important, followed by .PDF. The tools I'm familiar with are
RoboHelp and Doc-To-Help.

I'm exploring XML editors such as oXygen, because I'm interested in
the supposed advantages of DITA and DocBook. So far, everything I've
seen seems to be geared towards those who like to spend their days
fiddling with mind-boggling XML formatting and transformation scripts.
I'd rather write documentation.

I'd appreciate hearing comments from anyone who is using oXygen or a
similar product as to how friendly it is for those who would rather
write English than XML.

I'm also very interested in knowing more about how these editors do at
producing output that looks good and that supports context-sensitive
help (F1 links). oXygen's web help is functional but Spartan. Is
anyone using it to produce output that looks as good as what
Doc-To-Help can produce? Also, with Doc-To-Help, there's a nifty bit
of code so that our software developers can link their screens to my
NetHelp documentation. Is something similar provided with oXygen, or
would we have to build something entirely from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help