RE: Tools for Producing Datasheets

Subject: RE: Tools for Producing Datasheets
From: "Daniel Feiglin" <daniel_f -at- radwin -dot- com>
To: "Daniel Feiglin" <daniel_f -at- radwin -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:32:54 +0200

Hello!

Thanks to all those who responded. Here is a brief summary of the

1. (voxwoman, Peter Gold) InDesign - We use InDesign here for
commercial stuff. But again, it is licensed to a few folks in Marketing
who use it all the time. It's output options are not very extensive and
it is not readily interoperable with other Adobe products (!)like FM
(even unstructured). I note that Adobe now offers a common scripting
environment for InDesign, FM and possibly other products.

2. (Julie Stickler) OpenOffice - I've used OpenOffice (and lately
its new fork LibreOffice) on and off, on my Linux box since 1999 and
more lately on my laptop under Win 7. I don't think that they can do
what I want better than Word, but anyway it's academic - the company for
which I work is a Microsoft/Adobe shop.

3. (John G) Open/Free software - I'm broadly familiar with Scribus.

a. While I don't rule it out, it does have a rather steep
"learning curve"

b. Scripting uses the free Python language.

c. Scribus's export formats are (currently) limited to text, EPS,
PDF, image and SVG (release 1.4.0)

4. (Weissman, Jessica, Stephen Arrants, Margaret Cekis, Monique
Semp) Word based solutions - The ideas of "clamping" the printer driver
and blocking unwanted styles together with a decent template look
feasible; I'd still need to be convinced that there are no residual Word
version dependent glitches.

Of the four approaches, item 4 is probably the most "painless" and cost
effective if it can be made to work. I have a feeling that we will need
to wrap a WB script around one or more templates. And of course, if it
works for me, it should work for everyone else.

Item 3 as runner-up: Scribus - I can live with the idea of importing
prepared text and tables into a predefined form, but I could not easily
impose that discipline on our SMEs. If I still have to "concentrate"
everything at my desk, I'd rather stay with good old Frame.

About PagePlus: As the supplied review (link) says, it's functionality
appears to be a subset of Scribus but it is easier to use. Its "Save
as/Export " capabilities (the commercial version) are more limited than
Scribus.

Daniel

Daniel Feiglin| Technical Writer| RADWIN | t. +972 (3) 769 2827 | f.
+972 (3) 766 2902 | m. +972 (52) 3869986 | Skype baba_danny |
www.radwin.com <http://www.radwin.com/>

follow us on: Twitter <http://twitter.com/#!/radwin_ltd> . LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3669657&trk=myg_ugrp_ov
r> . Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radwin/159209470770645>