Re: Mac laptops and Tech Comm

Subject: Re: Mac laptops and Tech Comm
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Craig Cardimon <craig -dot- cardimon -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:20:26 -0800

Macs is teh awesomes. Phill Snow Leopard would have more tech info.
But as a TechCom I can't do my work ONLY on a Mac. The biggest
challenge I found was that Microsoft Word cannot generate bookmarks
from headings. As far as anyone knows, it will never be able to do so.
So, Word-only documentation requires a Windows version at least to
generate output.

The next challenge is that most other common TechCom tools like Adobe
TC and Madcap Flare are Windows only. At least InDesign runs on both
Mac and PC; but who in their right mind would author technical
documentation in InDesign, with 0 potential for reuse?

The good news is that the DITA community is waking up to the prospect
that Macs are used more and more in technical environments. The DITA
Open Tool Kit has always worked on Mac OS X (with some futzing).
Actually, pretty much any Java based program can run on Mac. Now the
low-cost Bluestream XDocs has a Mac OS X version (I would like to
think I had a hand in pressuring them to rebuild support for Mac!)

Mac firewire ports are 9-pin connectors. Most built-in PC firewire
ports are only 4-pin, so you'd need an adapter, regardless of which
machine you get.

USB 3.0 may be faster, but I don't think the throughput is consistent,
whereas firewire offers consistent throughput at the expense of
hot-pluggability.

I personally like the consistency of Mac hardware over the multitude
of PC brands on the market. Maybe that could change.

-Tony

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help