RE: Employment....

Subject: RE: Employment....
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, Wanda Phillips <wetcoastwriter -at- me -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:49:02 +0000

Thanks for posting. I didn't think that actually ever happened at the peon level.

I can't help but think that so-called non-compete agreements should be illegal since they confer no benefit on the employee and put him at a disadvantage should he find himself needing to find new work. In contrast, I could see an agreement by which an employee would promise not to share trade secrets and other valuable company information with competitors. Even a "non-compete if you leave the company voluntarily" makes some sense. But a "non-compete even if we let you go"? That is entirely one-sided and a glaring red flag. What I'd really like to do if I am ever presented with a "non-compete even if we let you go" is to offer a reciprocating agreement by which the employer promises not to hire anyone else with my skills, for a period of five years, should I be made to leave my employment involuntarily through no fault of my own or leave of my own accord for a position with a competitor offering a salary for my same position that is no more than 10% more than my current salary.