Re: New query: Scripting languages to support software testing

Subject: Re: New query: Scripting languages to support software testing
From: Lee Fisher <blibbet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riveraintech -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 14:55:48 -0800

On 3/1/12 2:09 PM, Dan Goldstein wrote:
> Any thoughts on the online courses offered by O'Reilly School of
> Technology? I'm looking right now at their "Introduction to
> Object-Oriented Programming Using C#" and "C#.NET 2: C# Programming in
> the .NET Framework." Each one is $500, plus $12/month for the lab
> server.

> For me, I think the best study mode would be a series of interactive
> sessions online (as opposed to a passive tutorial, video, book, or live
> classroom experience). Does anyone have a recommendation? Reasonable
> costs will be covered by the company, so it would be better to find
> something with enough positive reviews to justify the cost.

The most recent C# book recommendation I've seen for getting up-to-speed is latest edition of "CLR via C#", which I think is Microsoft Press.

O'Reilly is generally good, but this new School venture of theirs is too new for me to have any input on.

Some other live/online C# training options listed here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/50d430fa-e492-4468-a5b2-4d6927c305c1/
eg:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/hh341490
I haven't looked, but I suspect you can probably find some free online video training on C# on MS web site somewhere.

For non-free live sessions, I'd probably start by looking at PluralSight, or DevelopMentor.
http://www.pluralsight-training.net/microsoft/
http://www.develop.com/training-courses/dotnet

For tools, you will need to get either the .NET Framework SDK (now part of the Windows SDK) for command line compiling. Or get Visual Studio for GUI IDE, which has basic "Express" version that is free, or $$ non-free version (see if company already has a subscription available). Or for free -- but less-shiny -- non-Microsoft option, Mono for command line, or MonoDevelop for GUI. The latter also work on Linux and Mac. And, of course, don't forget Microsoft Sandcastle, MonoDoc, and/or Doxygen. :-)

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help