RE: font consistency and corporate look

Subject: RE: font consistency and corporate look
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: 'Rédacteur en chef' <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:13:47 -0500

Kevin asked about "font consistency an d corporate look"
He described revised corporate branding with an obscure font designed for
print only, not intended for any kind of online use, and licensed only for
"some marketing people, some graphic-creative people, and some technical
writers." Arial and Verdana were suggested substitutes for those without
licenses.
Kevin:
I agree with you that selecting a corporate font not usable online and not
available to the whole company is foolish and shortsighted. I think that
those who approved that selection either didn't understand all the
implications of only using the font in some circumstances and having
everyone else use a substitute, or they were not fully informed by those who
were pushing that particular font. I don't think this is a rare situation.
(Graphics and design gurus do fall in love with particular fonts and push
them when they are not really appropriate, and corporate executives may not
know much about graphics and branding and let themselves be sold without
checking that the proposed design will be universally applicable to every
situation where the company will want to use its branding.)
I don't know what to recommend that you do (so you won't be shot as the
bearer of an unwelcome message), but I think you should discuss it with
others in your company affected by the situation. As the company moves to a
larger presence online, the inability to use the same branding on and
offline will become a greater problem. Good luck. Let us know what you do,
and whether anything changes.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help