RE: Is "untar" an acceptable verb?

Subject: RE: Is "untar" an acceptable verb?
From: Peter Sturgeon <prsturgeon -at- bell -dot- net>
To: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:45:09 -0400

The question was whether untar was acceptable as a verb. It is. You untar (or extract) by running the tar command with different options.

Recipients of .tgz files will know what to do. Or should. For everyone else, there is InstallShield :)

Been using *nix variants since the mid-eighties, and never heard anybody laugh (out loud, at least) when untar got used as a verb.

Regards,

Peter

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help