RE: Help with fake names issue

Subject: RE: Help with fake names issue
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <cynthiadaoust -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:29:35 -0400

Cindy Daoust wrote:

> I have been provided with a list of acceptable names to use in a
> training project that includes things like "Deadlines, Expects Many,"
> "Flare, Shiny Red" and "Paint, Many Colors."
>
> As an alternative, I presented a list of names like "Sarah Bellum,"
> "Les Payne," and "Jean Poole" (it's a medical application) and most
> people liked it. But there is an objection that if it could possibly
> be a name of someone anywhere that it can't be used.
>
> Someone pointed out that if Beyonce can name her daughter "Blue Ivy"
> that nothing can be ruled out for a name. But some are still fearful
> of consequences.
>
> I feel the users will be distracted by these names.

I agree that users are likely to be distracted by any name that tries to be too cute in its artificiality.
And I agree that nearly anything is fair game for a given name these days.
So I think my approach would be to use given names that are as common as possible and surnames that are obviously not real but are not trying to convey a message (whether overtly cute or subliminal) or make a pun. I might use names like
Andy Anyone
Barbara Bullpuckey
Charles Citizenship
David Democracy
Ellen Everybody
Frank Flattery (well, maybe just one or two puns...)
George Greasyspoon
Helen Homecooked
and so on

-Fred Ridder