Re: Training and documentation teams play well together?

Subject: Re: Training and documentation teams play well together?
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:13:51 -0400

My first job was with a large company, and I worked quite closely with
our training department. As a former teacher who moved into technical
writing, it always made sense to me to make friends with the training
department. Both TW and trainers have the job of educating the user.
They often invited me when they ran beta versions of new courses
because they knew I'd give them good feedback. And I always made sure
that the additional details, best practices, and tips that they'd
managed to dig up made it into my docs. Trainers are customer facing
and often have insights that you can't get from developers or QA.

My last couple of gigs have been at smaller companies. At one I was
lucky enough to get to recommend a friend for the trainer position.
Once he came on board we worked quite closely together.

I think there are lots of good reasons to make friends with your
training department. I really can't see how there could be any
drawbacks? Other than personality conflicts?
--
Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help