Re: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication
From: Gurpreet Singh <gurpreetwrites -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:07:38 -0400

Hi,

I'm pursuing a graduate certificate in 'Technical Communication' from
Seneca College, Toronto.

You are absolutely correct that most recruiter and employers are familiar
with the term "Tech Writing" and not "Technical Communication" and even
then the courses in college and universities are about Technical
Communication.

As far as I know, Technical Writing is a subset of Technical Communication.
Technical Communication is a mothership for Instructional Designing,
e-learning, courseware preparation, Technical Writing, API Documentation,
web-copy writing and even business communication.

I use the term technical communicator only when I am talking to another
technical writer. My resume and Linkedin profile still says technical
writer. I'm proud to be one!

- Gurpreet Singh

LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/gurpreettw
Blog: http://TechnicalWritingToolBox.com (A blog on Technical Writing)