Re: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication
From: Phil Snow Leopard <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 23:43:37 +0700

I like the curmudgeon-mode, but I can give it straight back at you:

I've read far more crap manuals — produced, presumably, by 'tech writers' (I'm talking about those that come with products from multinationals), than I care to mention — than I've read good ones.

In fact, good technical manuals are something of a rarity. Good html help is almost non-existent - you can find the answer to almost any technical question faster on google than the in-app html help of any software I own.

I'd also object to the implication that 'being young' equates to 'can't write'. I'm not young myslef (and I probably can't write too well), but I know many young writers who are astounding wordsmiths.

Curmudgeon mode set to 'off'.

Phil

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help