Re: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Post on Technical Writing vs. Technical Communication
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:38:09 -0400

In some states it is illegal to use the job title "Engineer" unless you are a licensed professional engineer.

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:16:47 -0400, Steve Janoff (non-Celgene) <sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com> wrote:

Titles are usually mandated by the company. I thought this was a great policy on their part. (It was a large company, and I believe they'd inherited the titles from the even larger company they'd spun off from, NCR.)

I would think the STC would have to lobby for a title change at that level.

I wonder how they'd take to changing their name to Society for Information Engineering (SIE).

It was a great title (Senior Information Engineer), and I really miss it. But unless you're working for a startup where they might let you get away with choosing your own title, it's pretty much going to be luck of the draw.

Steve

PS - By the way, I like Information Engineer better than Information Developer, which I'd also had at an earlier job. The latter just doesn't have the same heft as the former.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help