RE: In the news: Font size matters

Subject: RE: In the news: Font size matters
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:35:05 -0400

Peter Nielson wrote:

> I was not able to detect in the reference whether the definition of
> 14-point type was addressed. The layman's understanding of type size and
> the actual value used by printers can differ, and indeed, various
> typefaces set in 14-point can appear "larger" or "smaller" based on
> artistic considerations that I no longer remember.

Exactly my first thought, too. For a quick example of this kind of disparity, compare a sample of 14 point Verdana with a sample of 14 point Calibri. To the eye, all the characters in Calibri are about 20% smaller than Verdana, and that size difference goes into more whitespace between lines. You have to bump Calibri up to about 17 points to roughly match Verdana, and then the effective difference in leading becomes even more noticeable.

-Fred Ridder

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help