RE: Pay Gap Between Manager and Subordinates

Subject: RE: Pay Gap Between Manager and Subordinates
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 01:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

Not exactly on topic, but I want to answer a part of one reply:
Bad for morale? ...Hm. How about the
morale of an undeniably excellent senior writer with thirty years'
experience who's paid less than a shiny new mediocre manager? Mind, I'm
in a company where it's normal and acceptable for the senior writer to
NOT want to become a manager -- I mention this to stop you from saying
"But the excellent writer should have been made manager!"

No, the excellent writer should NOT have been made manager...  Not necessarily.  These are two distinct skill sets.  Too often that kind of track results in the loss of a great technician, just to gain a mediocre manager (not just in pubs, I might add).  I thought, since we crossed the bridge to the 21st C. long ago, this kind of thinking was dead and gone, and needed no recognition whatsoever.  Maybe not?  Too bad!

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help