simulating Word's Quick Parts on a Mac?

Subject: simulating Word's Quick Parts on a Mac?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 08:00:55 -0700

Hello, TechWR-L-ers,

(Sorry for the cross-list posting; I wanted to ask a wide audience...)

The question: I use Quick Parts extensively for inserting figures (properly sequenced captions as well as figure paragraphs with the correct layout options), and had assumed that this would be a great tool for my Mac-using clients when I give them a simplified model doc to use for themselves. But... Quick Parts doesnât seem to exist for Word on the Mac!

Can anyone tell me otherwise or provide an equivalently easy way to accomplish this?

Iâm guessing the answer will be a creative use of Auto Text, but while I investigate perhaps someoneâs already solved this and can offer some time-saving advice.

Background:

I work on a PC w/Word 2007. I recently purchased Word for Mac (well, Office for Mac) 2011, in part so that I could help my Mac-using clients with their Word issues, as well as provide them with a simplified model doc (training them about templates isnât feasible for now) that they could use for quickie user docs that they want to create themselves.

(Yes, thatâs a whole ânother discussion, but as their only tech writer, and a part-time one at that, I certainly cannot create everything they need. So Iâm just trying to help them improve things as much as possible.)

Thanks,
-Monique

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help