RE: Visio to Word

Subject: RE: Visio to Word
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <kevin -dot- mclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 11:06:53 -0400

The approach everyone in my group has been using for a couple of years now is to embed Visio objects within the Word file. From the Insert ribbon, choose Object > Object > Create From File if you've already created the graphic, or Object > Object > Create New is you want to draw something from scratch. In either case, once you've inserted the graphic as an object, you can rescale it over a very wide range of percentages with no loss in quality.

It's also convenient, because you can edit the graphic directly from the Word GUI by right-clicking and choosing either Edit (for minor touch-up) or Open in Visio for anyting more significant. Or when you create an object from an existing file you can choose to link the Visio object to the file, so that any changes made in that file will be reflected in Word the next time you update fields.

I never used to be a believer in embedding, but as of Office 2007 Microsoft seems to have really gotten the implementation of Word-Visio linking right.

-Fred Ridder

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help