Embedding a multimedia file on a Confluence page

Subject: Embedding a multimedia file on a Confluence page
From: "Tammy Van Boening" <tammyvb -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 08:46:20 -0600

Have any of you successfully embedded a multimedia file on a Confluence page
and have it run successfully in all browsers? I currently working the latest
release of Confluence (4.2.x) and am following the instructions to embed a
supported file format (.wmv or .swf) onto a page:

1.) I am attaching the file to the page using the Tools > Attach function.
2.) I am then positioning my cursor on the page where I want the file to be
played and inserting Confluence's Multimedia macro at this point.

Both files (.wmv and .swf) work beautifully outside of Confluence, but in
Confluence, depending on the browser, it all goes to pot. In Firefox, the
.wmv player loads and says that it is loading the media, but then nothing
happens. The .swf file apparently is found and loaded, but then never gets
out of the loading pattern. In IE (7 through 9), the .wmv works fine, but
the .swf file does not. In Chrome, it's the opposite - the .wmv file does
not run, but the .swf file does.

I have scoured Confluence's help site and the long story short, supposedly,
this latest version of Confluence has been fixed and updated to handle all
these issues and I >>SHOULDN'T<< be experiencing these problems, but I am.

If any of you have had this experience and can provide any insight, it would
be much appreciated.

TIA,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening
Owner/Principal
Spectrum Writing, LLC
tammyvb -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com
www.spectrumwritingllc.com

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help