RE: The magic tool that everyone can use without stepping on toes

Subject: RE: The magic tool that everyone can use without stepping on toes
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Connie Giordano <connie -at- therightwords -dot- com>, 'reshma pendse' <reshma_pendse -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:13:35 -0400

The original sticking point was the part where four or five unconnected techpub groups AND more than one marketing group would somehow coalesce across the time zones.

Anyway, the guy moved on, and then we had a re-org, during which the dedicated Professional Services group (all two or three of them?) got split up and absorbed into other parts of the organization. Then we got bought, and nobody was thinking along those lines for some time.

The new owners have since revived the Professional Services moniker - in other words, we started charging again for that kind of work, instead of giving it away. :-)
So the old e-mail got me to wondering. What tools and methods are available nowadays that might make this a viable notion - at least parts of it?

I think somebody was right that a key aspect would be some sort of version control.

However, hell will freeze over before this company supports two different
version control systems, and currently we use <mumble-mumble> in-house.
That'll be replaced - soon on the glacial scale - probably another year
or so to settle on a candidate replacement, then two or three years to
get it ready and rolled out with all the <mumble-mumble> content migrated.

The little company that we just acquired has my deepest sympathy.
They'll have to migrate to <mumble-mumble> just in time to migrate to
whatever replaces it.

You know there's a problem when some of your engineers think
fondly back to the days of ClearCase...

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help