Re: Speaking of Flash vs HTML5...( was RE: RE: Most innovative user doc output

Subject: Re: Speaking of Flash vs HTML5...( was RE: RE: Most innovative user doc output
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:18:23 -0700

Flash has a near-100% lock on enterprise-level applications, which must
function on older browsers (HTML5 is not fully functional in any IE release
prior to 9,so it is not fully functional in Windows XP unless a non-MS
browser is installed, which many enterprises will not allow). This may not
be evident to users of consumer sites, where Flash can claim *only* 85% of
the most-visited sites.

HTML5 does not (at least not yet) provide any native support for animation,
interactivity, webcams or DRM, all of which are built into Flash.
Javascript, CSS3 and external codecs are needed to accomplish these things
in HTML5.

These will all get worked out eventually, but there is going to be a long
period in which people who want full consumer market penetration are going
to need to develop content in both formats simultaneously. B2B will
probably sit out the change and stick with Flash until a full set of
replacements have been established as a de facto standard.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help