Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for June 29, 2012
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:50:38 -0400

*This week’s update on technical communication and the TechWhirl community
is supported by Platinum sponsor ComponentOne & their Doc-To-Help Help
Authoring Tool <http://goo.gl/QcMWA> | http://bit.ly/doc-to-help*

One of the busier threads of the last two weeks or soon on the TechWhirl
email discussion list was started by Nancy Allison, asking for opinions on
the “Most innovative user doc output.” Several Whirlers posted links to the
examples they found innovative (it’s always fun to go see what other folks
are doing that’s trendy in technical communication). As always there were a
variety of opinions on what constituted innovative—tools, technology,
output or approach—but the discussions have highlighted a couple of key
issues that relate to our June topic on “Skills to survive and thrive” and
to the continuing question of what it means to be a technical communicator.

One issue, the tools and technology required to create these innovative
outputs, led us to ask this week’s poll question about expected career
directions. Many technical communicators plan to stay in the field and
continually master new tools and technology, while others focus on moving
up the career ladder or out on their own. If you haven’t already voted, we
encourage you to visit the website and then add your thoughts.

In addition, this week Craig Cardimon reviewed the latest edition of the
Microsoft Manual of Style
(MMoS)<http://techwhirl.com/style-guide-how-to/a-friendlier-breezier-and-technical-writing-style-reference/>,
a reference that sits on the shelf of many a technical communicator.
Cheryl Voloshin took a uniquely humorous look at the boss species living
the management wilds<http://techwhirl.com/technical-writing-humor/technical-writers-guide-to-surviving-wild-management/>,
and I gathered up some great resources, and a little of my own experience
to provide some guidance on Mastering the Art of the SME
Interview<http://techwhirl.com/skills/soft/technical-writing-foundations-mastering-the-art-of-the-sme-interview/>.
We encourage you to take a look at these timely topics and then drop us a
note via a comment on this post, or a direct email, or start a new thread
on the email discussion list<http://www.techwr-l.com/rules-expectations.html>
.

Our US Techwhirlers are heading into what looks to be a very warm but
patriotic week of reading the list and the website by the light of
fireworks celebrating Independence Day. As a result, next week will be
quieter than usual, but definitely not dead. No matter where in you call
home and what season it is there, enjoy your weekend!

-The gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for June 28, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/OBLWK0
- Technical Writing Foundations: the Art of the SME Interview, by Connie
Giordano | http://bit.ly/MTWUW5
- Technical Communication Poll: Expected Career Directions |
http://bit.ly/M0Utok
- Technical Writing Humor: Technical Writer’s Guide to Surviving Wild
Management, by Cheryl Voloshin | http://bit.ly/MR012E
- A Friendlier, Breezier and Technical Writing Style Reference:
Microsoft Manual of Style book review by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/MR012E

*Tech Comm News on http://News.TechWhirl.com <http://news.techwhirl.com/>:*

- Change to Staff Leadership of STC (Society for Technical
Communication) Announced | http://bit.ly/OJGJA6
- W3C Publishes Media Queries Recommendation| http://bit.ly/OzmNQe
- Meridian and dominKnow Integrate Claro and Global LMS for eLearning
Deployment | http://bit.ly/NIAGcq
- Studio One Releases ‘Content Asset Management Platform’ – CAMP – to
Allow Brand Marketers to Leverage Content Across Their Portfolio |
http://bit.ly/NCdT1S
- Enfocus Solutions Inc. Seeks Participants for UX & UCD Survey |
http://bit.ly/MPGDzr

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Society for Technical Communication (STC)
<http://www.stc.org/>, Vancouver
Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl