Re: document your job?

Subject: Re: document your job?
From: Editor in Chief <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:07:16 -0400

I mentioned I have similar text files strategically scattered.

On a server that runs one-or-more VMs, or that has a cache of VM clones,
I'll have a text file with the VM passwords. Inside each VM is a text file
with login/user names and passwords for what runs inside the VM or for what
that VM is intended to connect to.

Some parts of the whole orrery are now stable, and are also backed up to IT
servers nightly, my documentation source and tools VM, for example.

Others are fluid, and might last only for days or weeks as my current
projects progress and demands change.

I'm a lone writer at this office. Other writers at other company locations
support unrelated product lines, and are in different reporting structures.

If somebody who replaces me after a lay-off has something to say about how
I organized my work and my working environments, let them jabber, the
scabs... :-)
If somebody who currently works here wants to know about my stuff, I'll
overshare at the drop of a hint. I'm still only partway up the learning
curve with this VM stuff, but it's become really impressively versatile in
recent years.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help