RE: One More Question on large Word docs! Was RE: Follow-up and Question on large Word docs

Subject: RE: One More Question on large Word docs! Was RE: Follow-up and Question on large Word docs
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <dgoldstein -at- riveraintech -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:46:56 -0400

Note that this HTML approach may work OK for .doc files (e.g., from Word 2005 and earlier, which would have been current for a Techwr-l posting from 2007), but may or may not work for .docx/.docm files (Word 2007 and later), which use a completely different internal format.

If you _are_ using one of the current versions of Word, it might be possible to determine whether any images are inserted rather than only linked by opening the .docx/.dotm file with WinZip (or equivalent) and looking inside the word\media folder to see whether there are any emf images. In my experience, figures that are linked only (i.e., inserted with the "link" option rather than "insert and link" or one of the regular insert options) will not have an emf image in the media folder; all figures that are inserted in any fashion other than link only (including as OLE objects for embedded Visio drawings) appear to have an emf. But it's not real easy to identify them because you only see a thumbnail and an arbitrary image name (e.g. image3.emf).

-Fred Ridder

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help