Re: How to build a Corporate Dictionary for using with Simplified English

Subject: Re: How to build a Corporate Dictionary for using with Simplified English
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 22:15:18 +0800

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM, David Harrison
<dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com> wrote:

> One possible answer is to adopt Simplified Technical English in the hope that ...

> But everything that I read about the journey towards STE tells me that we first need to build a corporate dictionary of acceptable words and phrases which will sit alongside the STE limited dictionary where one word has one meaning. In hindsight - it probably would help with translations to date - so I don't think this is a futile exercise.
> I have found possible expensive looking solutions like Acrolinx and cheap looking packages like Maxit form Smartny. And of course the biggies like Tedopres offer to do it for you in with software and training package. But does anyone have experiences of creating such a dictionary/glossary and would they care to give some brief advice or pointers.

My starting point would be the Unix spell(1) program. It has been around
for decades, probably the first spell checker program, late 70s. Feed it
a text file and it prints out a list of words not in its dictionary. That is the
entire user interface, OK at the time for a program that had to run on a
mutliuser machine with at most 512K RAM and text-only terminals.
Seems a bit primitive today, but still usable.

On my Linux box, it is not installed by default, but is available.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help