Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for August 3, 2012
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 13:01:12 -0400

*This week’s update on technical communication and the TechWhirl community
is supported by Platinum sponsor Madcap & their Ultimate Communications
Suite, MadPak <http://goo.gl/eO3ls> | http://bit.ly/zBI0Uj*

As we turn the corner from July into August, TechWhirl moves from “Meet
Your Customer” to “Spy vs. Spy: Tech Comm vs. Marketing.” Rather than an
abrupt change of subject, we think of it more as a shift in perspective,
like turning the prism in a different direction. That’s because the
customer (whether internal or external, a business or a consumer) is the
focal point of service, marketing and technical communication. Or to mix
our metaphors a bit, the customer is the seat of the three-legged stool,
supported by professionals in each of these three disciplines.

Often technical communication professionals work as all three legs, often
they seem at completely at odds with service/tech support and especially
marketing. The TechWhirl
archives<http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/search.html?q=marketing>have
discussions going back decades (quite literally) that often paint
marketing folks in a truly unfavorable light, being from “the dark side,”
and more. During August, we’ll take a look at what divides—and what
unites—the people who wear the technical writer mantle and those that wear
the copy writer mantle. It should prove to be a very interesting, and even
entertaining month.

Enjoy!

Have a great weekend

-The gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for August 2, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/MSTHLf
- Technical Communication Poll: Interacting with Internal Customers |
http://bit.ly/PkBFfx
- Adobe FrameMaker 11: The Good, the Bad, the Structured Author, by
Jacquie Samuels | http://bit.ly/MyHmY4
- Researching Technical Communication and Customer Service, by Connie
Giordano | http://bit.ly/Q6caT2

*Tech Comm News on http://News.TechWhirl.com <http://news.techwhirl.com/>:*

- Industry Veteran PG Bartlett Joins Acrolinx | http://bit.ly/QiLJtZ
- WebWorks® Releases ePublisher v2012.2 with Offline Functionality |
http://bit.ly/OtCSWM
- Doc-to-Help 2012 v2 includes ePub, Display and Feedback Enhancements |
http://bit.ly/QPgisv

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Society for Technical Communication (STC)
<http://www.stc.org/>, Vancouver
Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl