Re: Principles, practices, and patterns approach to writing style guides? (was: Writing guides)

Subject: Re: Principles, practices, and patterns approach to writing style guides? (was: Writing guides)
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Kelley Walker <kelley -dot- walker -at- libtax -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 17:30:22 -0500

Interesting question, Kelley. I'm a technical writer with an abiding
interest in UX. In fact, I know many tech writers are, at least to the
point of being concerned about consistency in the user interfaces we
document.

I don't recall ever finding anything specifically aimed to writing.
What I've done is keep an eye on UX publications; it seems to me that
a lot of the information there is relevant to writing as much as to
websites, Help, etc.

Some other things I think are important when writing material (so far
as usability for the customer). These are really basic tenets of good
technical writing.
organization
clarity
organization
active voice
organization
topic driven (which translates well for those working with help systems)
organization
references (within the doc)
organization
illustrations and examples, where possible

A while ago I was a member/volunteer of the STC Usability and User
Experience SIG, and we reviewed some UUX books. You might check them
out to see if they've added anything. I'm not sure what the current
address of the SIG is, all my links seem to go to older versions of
the site, but I can find out if you need it.
Also, there's the UPA/UXPA, but I'm sure you know about them.
http://www.usabilityprofessionals.org/

Please post to the list if you find anything specific!

Regards,

Kathleen

--
Kathleen MacDowell