Re: is there a word - for typing the wrong homophone ?

Subject: Re: is there a word - for typing the wrong homophone ?
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:37:36 -0700

I call that a homophonic error and I make a lot of them. Sometimes, I will type some word that sounds similar in my head, but is completely wrong and may not even be close enough for people to know why I chose that word. I do not proofread my email messages as thoroughly as other documents, so some of my errors are permanently in the archives of this list.

Incidentally, if you are "typing the wrong homophone," you are typing the wrong word for a word that sounds like the word you meant. So, if you meant to type "your" and the "right" homophone is "you're," but you type, "yore," instead, then you not only typed the wrong word, you typed the wrong homophone. Nice, huh?

I feel complicated today.

On 8/21/2012 12:27 PM, Monique Semp wrote:

Hello, Whirlers,

Iâve done a bit of a google search, but cannot find a word to describe when you type the wrong homphone; anyone know of one?

The closest thing I found was simply someone asking the same question: http://ask.metafilter.com/110657/Why-do-I-keep-accidently-typing-homonyms-instead-of-the-actual-word-I-meant...

(I just hate it when I reread a message that Iâve sent, and see that, for example, Iâve typed âtheirâ instead of âtheyâreâ. And Iâm so hoping that thereâs a word to describe this phenomena. But at least I can confidently distinguish among homonyms, homophones, and homographs now: http://www.spellingcity.com/homophones-and-homonyms.html :-)

Just wondering,
-Monique

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help