Re: If you were making a FAQ...

Subject: Re: If you were making a FAQ...
From: kafkascampi <kafkascampi -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:20:23 -0700

Kevin asked about FAQs in online help
--
I've added FAQs to my help system--I pulled them in from the Phantom Zone
limbo of support templates...went through the list of cases with Support
and pulled the popular topics for FAQs. And I ended up putting an FAQ book
in each section of the help, with single Questions as individual topics
beneath. When you click the book, you get a list of all the Questions in
that topic...and I have related links at the bottom of the each Question
topic.

My thought was to divert some of the load from support, and catch common
questions before users file support tickets. Most, if not all, the answers
to the questions could be found in existing help topics, but Questions are
more focused--sometimes addressing a very minor thing to which you wouldn't
devote a whole topic.

My primary deliverable is HTML5 from Flare, like you. So the new
Google-style search results work very well when a Question topic returns in
the list of results.

I salute you, my HTML5 brother. Perhaps you'd like to discuss the bizarre
wrapping behavior in the TOC in IE9?

:)

Chris

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help