Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 83, Issue 5: Resume Fun

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 83, Issue 5: Resume Fun
From: wsfn <WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 07:30:22 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Duane, Dan, and Lynne.  There is no reason for a skilled technical writer to indulge in a resume over 3 pages unless asked to provide a complete curriculum vitae.  I too was recently horrified to be presented with a raft of resumes for Tech Writers which were less than literate, accurate, or brief.  I had one resume which was 9 pages long describing a 10 year career.  The entire last page included a list of education AND courswork.  The format was not designed to make the most of the available surface nor was the text adequately trimmed.  A 3-minute edit could have cut it in 1/2 just with margin, font, and spacing choices. Of course, the worst part was the entire lack of understanding what a resume is supposed to do.  I want to know why I should hire you.  I don't care that you did the same thing in 12 different jobs in 10 years--in some ways that is a red flag that you are flighty.

I have over 20 years of experience and not only keep my resume to two pages, within that space, I have room for a list of recent training and a list of my publications.

In the recent batch, I selected two to interview.  One with a mediocre 2-page resume and one with a good 5-page resume.   The 5-page one could be better but had a tollerable level of minor errors, weird formatting, and wording.  The mediocre one had chopped the resume to appear younger and left out pertinent information.  It did get an interview at least!  The 9-page one was rediculed with my peers and then trashed.

~Faye

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus!

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help