Re: Desperate Tech Writer to Happy Analyst?

Subject: Re: Desperate Tech Writer to Happy Analyst?
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 13:10:00 -0700

On 9/6/2012 12:31 PM, DoughtyTechWriter Mordant wrote:

I have another question: How the heck do you look for work in a small, incestuous industry where everybody knows everybody else and you're employed in a pretty unforgiving company? I'm scared to start talking to people.

You can always ask questions like, "How does the job market look for your profession?" I have three questions that I like to ask of nearly everyone and these questions are great to ask of recruiters and hiring managers.

* How does the job market look?
* Who is hiring?
* What are they looking for?

The questions really should not raise red flags, but if you think that the questions will, then add a political question, like, "How do you think the Presidential candidates will have any impact on this?"

I think networking is the right way to go, but it can go wrong so badly if someone isn't trustworthy and blabs.

Don't say that you are looking, just say that you are interested in learning what is happening in the market.

Headhunters would be helpful, but how hard are they likely to look for someone who wants to stay in a particular industry?

Recruiters work for the employers. Employers of an industry generally do want someone who will stay in the industry. Take a look at available jobs and apply with a confidential résumé. Recruiters may contact you for your information if they like your résumé.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help