RE: techwriting style vs press release

Subject: RE: techwriting style vs press release
From: Damien Braniff <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:32:01 +0100

I think the old phrase 'in the eye of the beholder' applies here - poetry, fiction, art, music... all are, to a greater or lesser degree, down to personal taste. For instance I like 'rhyming' poetry, not prose, don't get modern art (well most of it!) and some of the music my kids listen to is just noise! Having said that my experience of what I'd call 'good' poetry, art etc influences what I see/hear and how I perceive it. What I read (quality of writing, not content) will also influence how I write
With technical writing, if it's done well, there shouldn't be a split between those that 'get it' and those that don't - EVERYONE (who needs to) should 'get it'. Generally TW has a very specific purpose and the style and level of content etc is very much governed by your audience and our 'art' if you like is finding the right balance. So for a press release the aim is different from a UG etc - short and succinct being the general rule of thumb! J

Damien Braniff
Sr. Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com<mailto:damienb -at- asg -dot- com>
Waterfront PLaza
8, Lagan Bank Road
Belfast, N. Ireland
BT1 3LR
Tel: +44 0 28.9072.3124
Fax: +44 0 28.9072.3324
www.asg.com<http://www.asg.com>
ASG-CloudFactory - The Single Solution to Build, Deploy & Manage your Cloud Environments
Click here for more information on the ASG-CloudFactory<http://www.asg.com/cloudfactory>

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help